Oh, how I love the arts! Music, visual arts, dance… they speak to our souls and connect with something deep inside. With COVID-19 and other recent world events, our kids are living in a crazy time. Scary things are happening all around, their games and shows and graduations have been canceled, they are isolated from their friends due to social distancing guidelines. A lot of chaos and ugliness.
Give your kids the gift of beauty in your new Coronavirus Protection Homeschool. Delight with them, wonder with them, stand in awe with them. I encourage you to include Fine Arts at least an hour each week. Visit these links below for incredible opportunities!
- THE MET FOR FREE!!!! I am positively giddy about this, you guys. The Metropolitan Opera is offering FREE livestreams of one of their famous opera performances each night this week at 7:30 pm EST (6:30 CST). You can view on their website: www.metopera.org or on their app. Trust me, Do Not Miss This!! If you have never experienced an opera, I highly suggest you utilize their resources to learn about the opera first. None of these is in English (don’t worry, they have subtitles), and it will really help if you already know the story. But, oh, the music! And the talent! And the costumes! From operawire.com:
“We’d like to provide some grand opera solace to opera lovers in these extraordinarily difficult times,” said Met General Manager Peter Gelb in a press release. “Every night, we’ll be offering a different complete operatic gem from our collection of HD presentations from the past 14 years.”
The first week of the schedule is as follows:
We all need inspiration. These tours will help stimulate your kids’ imaginations, and offer excellent starting blocks for artist study and making their own masterpieces! “According to Fast Company, Google Arts & Culture teamed up with over 500 museums and galleries around the world to bring anyone and everyone virtual tours and online exhibits of some of the most famous museums around the world.
“Now, you get “go to the museum” and never have to leave your couch.”
3. Art Study! Harmony Art Mom has many free resources on her website, like this Renaissance Art Mini-Unit and these Art Discussion Questions to get the conversation going. Appropriate for all ages.
4. Art Projects For Kids! Excellent resource on the main page (scroll down past the fold) that teaches kids to draw fun characters like Pikachu and Batman, step by step. This is a good activity to let younger kids work on while you help older children.
4. Do you know about DSOKids? Our very own Dallas Symphony Orchestra has a fantastic kids’ site that helps them learn about composers, instruments, the building blocks of music and more, while having fun! There are hands-on craft activities, as well, and even a coloring book! Check it out!
6. Free digital concerts from Philharmonie Berlin! This is an excellent opportunity to see extraordinary, world-renowned musical talent, up close and personal! Pair these performances of timeless pieces with the DSOKids activities above!
These are just the tip of the iceberg, but should have you set for a while. Enjoy!